The divide that has erupted between family members who support/don’t support President Donald Trump, and friends who support/don’t support President Donald Trump is aiding in tearing the heart out of our great country. In fact, those who don’t support the president would often best be described as hating him.
Just look at the daily protests and nightly riots in cities throughout America. Those are horror-filled mobs.
Interestingly, while I’ve experienced many former friends avoiding me, or holding their nose when around me, or mocking me behind my back, I have never done the same to them (and most of my conservative friends would agree with me). If allowed, I could actually get along quite well with those liberal friends. If allowed, I could easily have a conversation with them about life in general without getting political at all. And, if allowed, I could easily talk politics without losing my cool in the least. Why? Because I’m confident of my positions–because the truth always prevails.
But, very few of my liberal friends would ever allow any such conversation to happen because they are steaming mad.
Instead, some take to social media with snarky posts filled with false or incomplete information to support their opposition to Trump.
What particularly hurts is when my Christian brothers and sisters get caught up in this war. I dedicate this post to Christians who not only do not support President Trump, but they inwardly (or outwardly) despise him.
Right off the top, I’ll just tell you I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016. I live in California where, as a conservative, my vote doesn’t mean a thing. That said, I made a personal statement by voting for Ben Carson. Prior to his running for President, I had been a big fan of Trump for years because of his larger-than-life personality and business savvy, however I wasn’t sure he would really align with my values politically if elected.
And then he won.
And then his first act was to reinstate and expand the Mexico City Policy which blocks funding for international organizations that perform or promote abortion. The new program is known as Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance (PLGHA), and covers $8.8 billion in family planning and global health funds that go to organizations abroad(none of whom may perform or promote abortion).
I was blown away.
As many of you are aware, my wife and I have dedicated much of our lives to the pro-life cause. The Mexico City policy was blocked by President Obama early in his first term.
As a follower of Jesus, there is so much more to rejoice over regarding the Trump Administration including all the devout Christians in his inner circle: Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Director of Health and Human Services Alex Adar, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson, Secretary of Education Betsy Devos, and Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany to name a few.
And then there are the policies put forward by this Administration. This is not a comprehensive list, but these are a some that jump out at me:
- On January 23, President Trump reinstated and expanded the Mexico City Policy, which blocks funding for international organizations that perform or promote abortion. This new program is known as Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance (PLGHA), which now covers $8.8 billion in family planning and global health funds that go to organizations abroad(none of whom may perform or promote abortion).
- On February 22, the Department of Education, in conjunction with the Department of Justice (DOJ) rescinded President Obama’s guidance that required public schools to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms and showers of their choice.
- on October 6, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) proposed two regulations to deal with the Obamacare “HHS contraceptive mandate”that had for years violated conscience and religious liberty. These new regulations exempt organizations that have moral or religious objections to purchasing insurance that includes coverage of contraceptives and abortion-causing drugs and devices.2018
- On January 19, HHS issued a new proposed regulation on conscience protections related to abortion. Specifically, the regulation proposed to implement 25 laws that protect pro-life healthcare entities against discrimination by federal agencies — or state or local governments receiving federal funds — due to their objections to participating in abortion, sterilization, and other morally objectionable procedures.
- On April 26, Mike Pompeo was confirmed as Secretary of State. In choosing Pompeo for this position, President Trump chose a born again Christian who cares deeply about religious liberty and will make it a priority to see the issue advanced through this administration. Pompeo joins other devout Christian’s in Trump’s inner circle including: Alex Azar, the Director of Health and Human Services,
- On May 22, HHS issued a new proposed regulation reversing the Title X family planning regulations implemented by President Clinton. The proposed regulation would restore the separation of abortion services from the federal Title X family planning program, which President Reagan first implemented. The proposed regulation would also ensure parents are more involved in the decisions of minors to obtain services from Title X clinics. It reverses the discriminatory abortion referral requirement the Clinton regulations implemented and is poised to put a dent into Planned Parenthood’s roughly $60 million annual revenues from theTitle X program.
- On August 1, the Trump administration relied on Executive Order 13818 (which builds on Global Magnitsky Act authority) to sanction two Turkish officials over the detention of American pastor Andrew Brunson due to his Christian faith. This Executive Order ultimatelyresulted in Pastor Brunson’s release.
- On November 7, HHS finalized its two regulations to protect conscience and religious liberty from long-running problems with the Obamacare “HHS contraceptive mandate.” These two final regulations exempt organizations with either a moral or religious objection to purchasing insurance with coverage of contraceptives and abortion-causing drugs and devices. The regulations took effect on January 14, 2019.
- On January 18, HHS notified California that its law requiring pregnancy resource centers to post notices about how to obtain an abortion violated the pro-life Weldon and Coates-Snowe Amendments. This marks the first time that the Conscience and Religious Freedom Division at HHS found a state in violation of these laws. This demonstrates the administration’s commitment to enforcing conscience protections and its pro-life priorities.
- On January 19, at the request of 169 members of Congress and 49 senators, President Trump sent a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in which he promised to veto any legislation that weakens current pro-life Federal policies and laws. This letter was a message to the new Democrat majority in the House that longstanding pro-life protections like the Hyde Amendment and safeguards protecting the conscience rights of health care providers are not negotiable.
- On June 5, after an extensive audit into fetal tissue research, the Trump administration announced a major change in the enforcement of research contracts. HHS would no longer conduct intramural (internal) research using tissue from aborted babies and would greatly increase the ethics rules and safeguards that govern extramural (external) fetal tissue research contracts. All new external contracts will be subject to a congressionally authorized ethics advisory board, making it much more difficult for fetal tissue research contracts to be awarded by the National Institute of Health.
- On August 28, the HHS OCR issued a notice of violation to the University of Vermont Medical Center for forcing a nurse to participate in an abortion despite a conscience objection.
- On October 11, 2019, Attorney General Barr delivered a striking defense of religious liberty at Notre Dame Law School. He noted, “[t]he imperative of protecting religious freedom was not just a nod in the direction of piety. It reflects the Framers’ belief that religion was indispensable to sustaining our free system of government.” The Attorney General proceeded to remind the audience that religion gives us the “right rules to live by.” Barr highlighted the recent attacks on religious liberty, and that the DOJ under his leadership has been fighting back and protecting religious liberty.
- On December 20, the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced a final regulation to address the abortion surcharge hidden in many plans purchased on the Obamacare exchange. This final rule aligns federal regulations with section 1303 of the Affordable Care Act, ensuring that consumers know their health care plan covers abortion and that funding for abortion is kept separate from all other covered services.
- On Dec. 20, 2019, the president signed into law Public Law 116-94, extending the EB-4 non-minister special immigrant religious worker program through September 30, 2020. The law allows these workers to immigrate or adjust to permanent resident by that date. Non-minister special immigrant religious workers include those within a religious vocation or occupation engaged in either a professional or non-professional capacity. This date on which the program will end also applies to accompanying spouses and children of these non-minister special immigrant religious workers.2020
- On January 16, HHS Secretary Alex Azar hosted 34 countries for a meeting on how to promote women’s health and protect the lives of the unborn. This meeting followed an invitation sent by Secretary Azar and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to 70 different countries inviting them to join a coalition to oppose international efforts to enshrine abortion as a human right.
- On February 4, during his State of the Union address, President Trump called on Congress to pass legislation that would ban late-term abortions. To highlight the need for this legislation, he invited special guest, Ellie Schneider, who was born at just 21 weeks gestation.
- On March 24, DOJ filed a statement of interest in a case protecting women against men intruding on their sporting competitions. The statement made clear that athletic qualifications on the basis of “gender identity” were harmful to women’s sports.
- On May 3, DOJ filed a statement of interest supporting the religious freedom of Lighthouse Fellowship Church in Chincoteague Island, Virginia. After the church held a 16-person worship service on Palm Sunday (following strict social distancing protocols), a criminal citation and summons were issued against the pastor pursuant to Governor Ralph Northam’s executive order which banned in-person religious services but allowed large gatherings for businesses like liquor stores and dry cleaners.
This is straight from the Black Lives Matter’s website. This organization is not only Marxist, but they are outrageously opposed to any semblance of Biblical morality.
From their “About” page:
We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.
We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.
We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.
We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.
We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.
We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.
We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).
Oh, and if you click the “donate” button on the Black Lives Matter website, you’re directed to ActBlue, which is a non-profit that directs donations directly to the Democrat Party.
I would also like to point out that the Democrat party is the party of abortion and is 100 percent for Planned Parenthood (listen to Hidden Headlines Podcast #62). Isn’t it interesting that the black population in America has remained at 13 percent ever since Roe v Wade became law?
God help us.
In my most recent podcast (Hidden Headlines, Episode 53) I explain how Bernie Sanders is, and has been for decades, a communist. Listen, I know there are millions of communists in this world, but (thank God) the United States of America is not ready to have one as president–for now. Communism is antithetical to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Communism is also not compatible with the God of Creation and His Son, the Messiah Jesus.
To socialists and their communist counterparts, all that really exists is the material world. Karl Marx, the father of socialism/communism, invented the notion of dialectical materialism — the belief that matter contains a creative power within itself. This enabled Marx to eliminate the need for a creator, essentially erasing the existence of anything non-material.
To the Marxist, suffering is caused by the unequal distribution of material possessions, and salvation is achieved by the re-distribution of the same. There’s no need for the spiritual. If everyone is given equal stuff, all the problems in society will somehow dissolve.
This worldview contradicts both Bible-based Judaism and Christianity which affirms the existence of both a material and a non-material world and teaches that humankind’s greatest problems are spiritual. The Bible says the cause of suffering is sin, and salvation is found in the death and resurrection of the Messiah. And, even if we are unable to accumulate personal wealth, the Bible teaches that we can still have an abundant life here on earth. That’s because our quality of life is not determined by how much stuff we have, but by our relationship to God.
There are still enough well informed, Bible-believing citizens in the country who reject Bernie’s communism.
As for Democratic candidate Pete Buttigieg, America is not ready for a homosexual to be president, particularly one who is not just very liberal, but one who pushes a gay agenda.
It was less than five years ago that the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage in a ruling that dramatically advanced gay rights in America. Over the past two decades, public support for same-sex marriage, seen as an indicator of acceptance of the LGBTQ community as a whole, has flipped from 60 percent opposition to more than 60 percent approval. I contend that flip is because of the aggressive manner in which LGBTQ activists publicly crucify any who are outspoken against their agenda.
I know this is difficult for those reading this who stand with the LGBTQ agenda to believe, but as a follower of Jesus I do not hate or even dislike you; I just oppose any agenda that is antithetical to God’s Word as revealed to us in the Bible.
Some claim Jesus never said anything about homosexuality and therefore is neutral on the topic. Not true. Jesus was unequivocal in saying that to understand marriage and the sexual union, we must go back to the beginning and see how God created humanity and to what end. (See Matthew 19 and Mark 10.) Jesus holds up the creation story in Genesis not as a quaint Sunday school lesson, but as authoritative — reminding us that God created each of us male and female, each for the other. And the sexual union that God created and ordains is for husband and wife to come together in physical union, one flesh. As for marriage, it’s also God’s desire that one man be committed to one woman (and vice versa).
When God said that it “is not good that the man be alone” (Genesis 2:18) he wasn’t bemoaning that Adam didn’t have a friend or was lonely. He was saying that the male could not really know himself as male without a contrasting human. The Bible reveals that both male and female become fully human via their interaction and contrast with one another. This happens most profoundly (and mysteriously) in marriage. It’s also biologically evident that for humans to multiply male and female genders are required. The male and female roles are so remarkable in marriage that even in Heaven the church will be recognized as a bride and Jesus the bridegroom.
As for sexuality and sexual drive, at some point we all have some manner of sexual urges that compel us to disobey (or contemplate disobeying) God’s design for sexuality. In the New Testament book of 1 Corinthians we read a daunting passage that hits numerous sins and vices with equal clout:
Don’t you know that unrighteous people will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don’t delude yourselves — people who engage in sex before marriage, who worship idols, who engage in sex after marriage with someone other than their spouse, who engage in active or passive homosexuality, 10 who steal, who are greedy, who get drunk, who assail people with contemptuous language, who rob — none of them will share in the Kingdom of God. 11 Some of you used to do these things. But you have cleansed yourselves, you have been set apart for God, you have come to be counted righteous through the power of the Lord [Jesus] the Messiah and the Spirit of our God.
I Corinthians 6:9-11 (Complete Jewish Bible version)
We’re all tempted, but not all of us fall into sin. Scripture tells us that Jesus was tempted in all ways as we are, but did not sin (see Hebrews 4:15). Sexual sin is giving in to that desire in either mind or body. Engaging in same-sex acts is sin, just as is engaging in premarital or extra-marital sex between a man and woman.
I have many friends and acquaintances who are or were same-sex attracted, but live obediently within a Christian sexual ethic; some are now married to a man or woman of the opposite sex. I also know heterosexuals who live in celibacy. God requires that we each subjugate our sexual (and many other) desires to our faith in Him; and countless same-sex attracted believers do so willingly and joyfully. One of the signs of a Christian is his or her desire to be obedient to Jesus’ teaching and His teachings are demanding. The scriptures define and change us, not the other way around. Biblical morality cannot change with the times. In addition to his homosexuality Buttigieg contends he is a Christian. If this is so, he is living a life that is defiantly in opposition to the precepts of God.
Besides living in proud defiance of God’s ways, Buttigieg is an activist who encourages even young kids to go gay. Buttigieg had an emotional moment this past Saturday night with a nine-year old boy who asked him for help to come out as gay. During a Q&A session where questions were drawn from a fishbowl, the boy, later identified as, Zachary Ro, thanked the former mayor of South Bend, Indiana for his bravery and sought help from Buttigieg on coming out.
“Would you help me tell the world I’m gay, too?” Ro asked the first openly gay presidential candidate, adding, “I want to be brave like you.”
Rather than suggesting therapy to this confused pre-pubescent child, Pete told the boy to basically go-for-it. “I don’t think you need a lot of advice from me on bravery, you seem pretty strong,” Buttigieg responded. “It took me a long time to figure out how to tell even my best friend that I was gay, let alone go out there and tell the world. And to see you willing to come to terms with you who you are in a room full of thousands of people you never met, that’s really something.”
Pete seems like a nice guy, but he really needs to surrender his life to the Lordship of Jesus the Messiah and allow God to transform his sexual desires into that which are congruent with the Bible.
Meantime, America’s not ready for Pete.
On a trip across the US to visit some of the places where God did something wondrous in my life.
This photo is of the dormitory that was next to the dorm in which my wife lived for four years while attending Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri (I was at the University of Missouri). Her dorm, South Hall, has since been torn down, but this one is EXACTLY like it, and is about 30-yards away.
I first laid eyes on my future bride while she sat on the steps of South Hall. I also proposed to her beneath a tree in front of the dorm. It’s a super special place and I was an emotional basket case when I visited it today.
But there’s more…
After visiting hours I would often leap up to the first rung of an old rickety fire escape on the north side of the building, pull myself up to the ladder and climb up to a thin, white ledge that wrapped around the fourth floor. Then I would very carefully shuttle along the ledge, maneuver around two corners like Spiderman, and move past two windows until I reached her room. Once there, she and her roommate would pull me in through the window.
Unless you know my wife you won’t believe this but it’s true: there was NO hanky-panky going on. I’d go up (as some of you former Stephens ladies know) and just hang out with the girls after the 10PM curfew. Go figure–those were truly some of the best times of my college life!
Now, LOOK AT THAT LEDGE! It’s about a foot wide. It’s proof that love is blind. I coulda been killed!
Looking back, it was all worth it: 42-years of marriage, 4 awesome kids, and faith in God.
PS: Please note that my old roommate, Jim Stewart, can confirm all of these facts (and he did on my private Facebook page) as he was the guy who was responsible for me meeting my wife (and he too walked that ledge).