Prior to becoming President, I didn’t really think Donald Trump was a Christian.
Now, I’m an not one to judge whether a person in going to Heaven or Hell (I capitalize both because they are real destinations), but I do believe the Bible gives me the authority to assess whether or not someone is a Jesus-follower:
So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:31-32).
That said, based upon what I knew of Mr. Trump, it seemed as if he was not one to abide in God’s word. Let’s be honest, certain aspects of his past moral code seemed a bit slimy (not that I was a saint either back in the day). However, many of us were willing to take a chance that he would indeed be the best choice for President, given his campaign promises.
Now, two years later, I can say that President Trump is governing like an authentic follower of Jesus. I’m still not sure where he is personally regarding an abiding faith in God (via Messiah Jesus). I do know that his cabinet contains more authentic followers of Jesus than we have seen in many generations, so one can only hope that they have rubbed off on him in a very positive fashion. In any case, Mr. President is knocking it out of the part when it comes to federal policy-making.
So, what’s the proof that Donald Trump is acting as God’s man in the White House? Here’s a list of some of the most prominent examples, based on three important categories (I’ll be discussing this is the upcoming Hidden Headlines Podcast):
Sanctity of Human Life – “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart…” (Jeremiah 1:5).
- Spoke live via satellite at the March for Life in D.C. (a first for any sitting U.S. President).
- Cut off taxpayer funding for the U.N. Population Fund (basically an abortion fund).
- Signed H.J. Res. 43 into law, overturning an Obama regulation that prohibited states from defunding Planned Parenthood.
- Issued guidance to stop taxpayer funding of abortion in ObamaCare exchange plans.
- Signed an executive order to restore the Mexico City Policy and defund International Planned Parenthood Federation, blocking $9 billion in aid from funding abortion.
Religious Liberty – Enshrined in the Constitution’s First Amendment and illustrated in the words of the the New Testament writer, [Saint] Paul: “We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:20-21).
- Formed a new Conscience and Religious Freedom Division within the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services to protect religious freedom and restrict taxpayer funds from discriminating against religion.
- Implemented a new policy directive within the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs which focuses on protecting religious freedom.
- Hosted the first Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom at the U.S. Department of State.
- Nominated Gov. Samuel Dale Brownback of Kansas to be Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom, Department of State.
- Protected the free exercise of religion by reversing Obama-era policies with new legal guidance issued to the Department of Justice by Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
- Signed an executive order on religious liberty on the National Day of Prayer.
- Ordered the Internal Revenue Service to not enforce restrictions on political activity by churches.
- Helped faith-based groups give healthcare coverage to nearly 14-million Americans.
- Issued guidance protecting religious liberty within the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, ensuring that Christians who opposed same-sex “marriage” would not experience discrimination.
- Took numerous actions related to homosexual, transgender, and other sex-related matters.
- Removed federal government web pages (instituted by the Obama Administration) on LGBT issues.
- Disqualified “transgender” individuals from serving in the military, thus freeing personnel from participating in LGBT training based upon their religious beliefs and conscientious objections.
Israel – Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May those who love you be secure (Psalm 122:6).
- Declared Jerusalem the capital of Israel and moved the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem.
- Visited Jerusalem’s Western Wall and prayed (a first for any sitting U.S. President).
- Signed the Taylor Force Act, prohibiting aid to the Palestinian Authority if it funds terrorism.
- Cut $225 million from the Palestinian Authority.
- Delivered the first F-35 stealth jets to Israel.
- Withdrew from The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) citing “anti-Israel bias.”
- Cut $300 million in aid to Pakistan.
- Cut all U.S. funding for UNRWA, the U.N. agency serving Palestinian refugees—it’s a politicized and pro-Palestinian organization, which perpetuates the refugee issue.
- Withdrew from the anti-Israel U.N. Human Rights Council
- Appointed pro-Israel Nikki Haley to serve as U.S. Ambassador at the United Nations, who has assumed a more assertive role and negotiated $285 million cut in U.N. budget.
- Withdrew America from the Iran deal, imposed tough sanctions and pledged to stop Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.
- Closed the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) office in Washington, D.C.
- Approved a 10-year military aid package for Israel, providing $3.8 billion annually to secure Israel’s defense.