Have you ever fallen way from your love of God?
Seriously, it could have been for a season, or it could be right now.
In any case, the Spirit of our Lord desires that you return to being crazy in love with Him!
In the podcast you’ll hear more from my good friend Jeff Langskov (swimmingmonk.com). We look at the Church of Ephesis, as described in the Book of Revelation.
Despite the fact that this church had been founded by the Apostle Paul, pastored by Timothy and eventually the Apostle John, and attended by Mary the mother of Jesus, they had fallen from their first love–the very loved that saved them!
What a message to us.
Below are the notes that I shared with my men’s group on this subject. I hope you’ll find them useful.
The podcast is available most anywhere (including here).
The Seven Churches in Revelation
Ephesus: Staying Tight with Your First Love
“To the angel of the church of Ephesus write, ‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent (Revelation 2:1-5 NKJV).
God Wants Us
– Regarding His followers, Jesus said, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand” (John 10:27-28).
– Jesus also said, “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing (Luke 15:4-5).
– Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins (James 5:19-20).
The Devil Wants Us Too
– Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made (Genesis 3:1).
– Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour
(1 Peter 5:8).
When restoring one who has fallen away, be gentle
– Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted (Galatians 6:1).
God’s Desires Our Heart
“Now, therefore,” says the Lord,
“Turn to Me with all your heart,
With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.”
So rend your heart, and not your garments;
Return to the Lord your God,
For He is gracious and merciful,
Slow to anger, and of great kindness;
And He relents from doing harm…” (Joel 2:12-13).