These are the notes for the Another Chance Podcast (Episode 30, June 2, 2021). The notes are actually copied from a men’s Bible study I recently facilitated.
Hope they are a blessing to you!
I came across some old notes in my Bible which I thought would be excellent to share as we begin a new year. The notes say, “God’s Math for a Successful Life:
Deuteronomy 6:5-6, + Deuteronomy 10:12-13, = Deuteronomy 11:13-15.
This can be translated as,
Love God + Be Obedient = True Success
First off, God’s brand of success is a matter of the heart
Here’s what Jesus says: “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:19-21).
The first portion of the equation is Deuteronomy 6:5-6, it was spoken by Moses just after he presented the Ten Commandments – You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.
Remember, we love Him because He first love us
– For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
– God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him…We love Him because He first loved us (1 John 4:16-19).
Question: How did you first become aware of God’s love for you? How did you respond?
Plus, Be Obedient
The above verse, plus Deuteronomy 10:12-13 says, What does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today for your good?
Our Obedience is based on His love for us
– And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross (Philippians 2:8).
– “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him (John 14:23).
Question: How have you grown in obedience to the Lord?
Equals, True Success
The sum of the equation is found in Deuteronomy 11:13-15, …then I will give you the rain for your land in its season, the early rain and the latter rain, that you may gather in your grain, your new wine, and your oil. And I will send grass in your fields for your livestock, that you may eat and be filled.
Walking in love and obedience will bring you an abundant harvest
– Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6,7)
– But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22).
Question: How is God’s brand of success showing up in your life?